By Liz Verley, Staff Writer
Despite several rumors drifting around Central Minnesota, Royalton Public Schools are accepting open enrolled students.
At Monday’s School Board meeting, members heard 19 out of the 67 kindergartners that registered for the 2012-2013 school year during the annual kindergarten registration night, were open enrolled.
Elementary Principal Phil Gurbada said, “The registration was an exceptional meeting. We received many good positive comments from the public.”
“As of today (Monday) we have 77 kindergarten students enrolled. We think we have the best darn school in the state. There is a lot of good communication and understanding between our staff and the public which is great,” said Gurbada.
Board Chair Tom Justin said, “Although information has been floating that open enrollment is closed in our school, it is not. We will be more than happy to educate any child.”
Royalton School Board Briefs
In other business Monday, the Royalton School Board: • Heard Superintendent Dr. Jon Ellerbusch would be holding monthly “listening post” meetings at various homes or businesses. The first meeting will be at Jordie’s Trailside Cafe in Bowlus from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24. The purpose of the meetings is for residents of the district to exchange dialogue with the superintendent;
• Approved hiring Tyler Swanson and Brian Stoks as Community Education wrestling coaches for the 2012 Wrestling season;
• Approved the resignation of Patti Eggerth as a paraprofessional, effective Jan. 2;
• Approved a donation from the Wrestling Club in the amount of $882.01 for the balance of the installation of the sound system;
• Approved a donation from the Elementary Traveling Program in the amount of $1,025.40 for the purchase of reversible jerseys and other miscellaneous items;
• Approved the Acceptance of Gifts, Transportation Pick Up/Drop Off, ECSE Student Drop Off Transportation, Pre-school Student Pick-up and Drop off Transportation. Charter Bus and Food Service Program, policies;
• Approved the teacher, Royalton Education Support (RESP) and non-certified seniority lists:
• Held first readings of the Disability Non-Discrimination; Employment Background Check, Public and Private Personnel Data, Employee Right to Know-Exposure to Hazardous Substances, Students and Employees with Sexually Transmitted Infections and Disease and Certain Other Communicable Diseases and Infectious Conditions, Employee Recognition, Volunteers and Internet Acceptable and Use and Safety, policies;
• Adopted the revised 2011-2012 budget;
• Sent the 2012-2013 school calender back to administration to look into the feasibility of suggested board changes;
• Tabled action on hiring the high school principal until clarification is made on whether there is a need to open the position or if the Board can proceed and hire the present interim principal Joel Swenson; and
• Directed administration to proceed with developing a list of fundraisers held by students and what the money is being used for.
The next regular meeting of the Royalton School Board will be held Monday, March 12.
The Board will hold a special meeting at the Bowlus Community Center Monday, Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m. At this meeting the administration will review and recommend cuts for the 2012 – 2013 school year. District residents encouraged to attend.