School parking lot plans move forward in Royalton
By Liz Verley, Staff Writer
The plans for the Royalton Elementary School parking lot is moving forward according to information received by school board members at their May 14 meeting.
The lot will hold approximately 30 cars within its boundaries with an additional six spaces along the street. Central Minnesota Paving will do the bituminous work at a cost of $11,535 and Canella Concrete will do the curb, gutter and sidewalk portion of the project at a cost of $12,720.
Parking lot committee members Jim Block and Dale Lenz will meet with city officials to see if two handicapped parking spots could be included in the present plan.
Royalton School Board Briefs
In other business May 14, the Royalton School Board:
• Agreed to leave the community education position as is and not to combine it with the activity director’s duties;
• Approved hiring Amanda Hoheisel, Lora Jacobson, Ashley Kelly and Emily Olson as elementary teachers and Matt Stockinger as a high school teacher, effective Aug. 26;
• Accepted the resignation of Toni Kathrein as special education teacher effective at the end of the 2011-2012 school year;
• Approved the termination of Trudy Graves as a bus driver;
• Hired Carolyn Harris as a substitute for Nicole Kunkel for the remainder of the school year;
• Accepted a donation of $439.32 from the Royalton Legion Post 137 for a new wet/dry chalker for the ball fields;
• Approved Dr. Phil Gurbada to act as the Local Education Agency (LEA) representative in reviewing the district K-3 Literacy Plan. The LEA representative ensures the school district maintains compliance with the appropriate federal statutes, regulation and procedures and acts as the responsible authority in all matters relating to the review and administration of the literacy plan;
• Approved a resolution relating to the termination and nonrenewal of the teaching contract of Jill Waldvogel, a probationary teacher;
• Set a goal-setting meeting for Monday, June 18 at 7:30 p.m., a superintendent evaluation meeting for Wednesday, July 16 and the Board’s self evaluation, in-service and retreat meeting for Monday, Aug. 6 at 7:30 p.m.;
• Heard 85 kindergarten students were registered for the 2012-2013 school year;
• Heard the fifth and sixth grade graduation ceremony will be held Monday, June 1 at 8:25 a.m. The public is invited to attend; and
• Heard a sixth grade information session/picnic will be held at the high school Wednesday, May 30 at 6 p.m. Families with sixth grade students are invited to attend to discuss concerns, have questions answered, tour the building and meet the teachers. Staff will be grilling brats, hot dogs and serving chips.
The next regular meeting of the Royalton School Board will be held Monday, June 11.