Contracts approved for Upsala schools’ administration
By Liz Verley, Staff Writer
Upsala Superintendent Gery Arndt and Dean of Students Vern Capelle’s three- year contracts were approved unanimously at Wednesday’s School Board meeting.
Arndt’s contract will allow him to receive $500 a month to be used for a health savings account. Previously his contract had no health insurance benefits, His salary will remain at $50,000 per year. Capelle’s present salary is $69,451.16 per year. The proposed three-year increase accepted was $1,410.16 per year.
For the 2012-2013 school year his salary will be $70,861.49, in 2013-2014 it will be $72, 271.82 and 2014-2015, $73,682.15.
His salary increase is the equivalent of lane changes earned while pursuing his administrative degree.
Capelle’s contract also allows for him to attend a national principal’s convention once every three years in place of the state convention. Expenses would include all registration fees, transportation, lodging, food, etc., not to exceed $2,000.
It should be noted these numbers will change with the teachers settlement.
Upsala School Board Briefs
In other business Wednesday, the Upsala School Board:
• Heard the teachers had turned down the proposed mediated contract. The district will now wait to hear from the Upsala Education Association;
• Approved closing the meeting to meet with the district’s attorney to discuss allegations against an employee; • Accepted the resignation/retirement of Ken Solarz as accountant/bookkeeper/business manager and athletic director, as well as the positions of head volleyball coach and head baseball coach, effective June 30;
• Approved the resignation of Clarissa Meyer as an elementary special education instructor;
• Approved the resolution setting dates for candidates to file for the upcoming election of school board directors;
• Approved an additional 10 days at $90 per day for Curtis Robertson to set up the technology lab;
• Adopted a five-year lunch price plan which will allow the district to catch up with the cost which is mandated by federal law. The daily price of lunches for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year will be: elementary, $1.85; high school, $2; and adult, $3.20;
• Accepted the dairy bid provided by Kemps, the bakery bid by Pan-O-Gold and the bid for vehicle maintenance from Upsala Motors. Director Dean Peterson abstained from voting on the Upsala Motors bid;
• Adopted a three-year health and safety budget. In 2012 the budget has been set at $15,278; 2013, $11,815; and 2014, $11,965;
• Authorized Colleen Harren to have authority to do electronic fund transfers;
• Approved the cooperative agreement for girls tennis with Long Prairie/Grey Eagle, Upsala and Swanville. The agreement is based on participation;
• Approved a formal resolution regarding termination of reinstatement rights of Randy Tretter. He did not meet the reinstatement deadline. Superintendent Gery Arndt said. He may still apply for a position;
• Approved Sheri Johnson as a part-time instructor to participate in the Teachers Retirement Association program for part-time teachers with the understanding that any contributions for unearned salary with be paid for by Johnson. There will be no additional costs to the district; and
• Approved several motions for Pam Johnson including: a memorandum of understanding between her and the district; the resignation of Johnson as a K-6 music instructor effective June 27 and a long-term substitute contract for her from Sept. 4 through Dec. 31 as a part-time elementary music instructor. Her pay will be based on her present contract salary with present health insurance payment until Dec. 31.