By Jennie Zeitler, Staff Writer
Mud Fest’s Labor Day event will be held as approved, which was decided at the Morrison County Commissioners meeting Tuesday. “The license stands as included in the permit for the Labor Day event too,” said County Administrator Deb Gruber.
Following the Memorial Day Mud Fest event in rural Hillman, the Morrison County Sheriff’s report described non-compliance with conditions agreed to on the event’s variance request.
“Every rule of law is written to be followed, not for someone to ‘do the best you can,’” said Sheriff Michel Wetzel.
“There have been a couple Mud Fest incidents in the news lately, tragedies — we’ve seen the articles,” said Commissioner Rich Collins. “We have to keep those mud trucks from having carte blanche throughout the campsites.”
“The Board can and should expect that every effort will be made to comply with the conditions,” said County Attorney Brian Middendorf. “The current conditions were agreed to by everyone involved. After the fall event, those conditions will be addressed for next year.”
Morrison County Commissioners Briefs
Other business that came before the Morrison County Commissioners Tuesday included:
• Approving a 2012 annual license for new establishment for Doucette Storage/Bear Cabins;
• Authorizing filling the public health department accountant position as a hired staff position again, rather than as a contracted position;
• Approving a 2012 tobacco license for Trails Edge Food, Fuel and Liquor in Buckman;
• Approving tax abatement requests by Adam Laubach of Belle Prairie Township, Daniel and Shanna Wimmer of Buckman Township, Muskrat Lodge in Elmdale Township, Brian Foss of Morrill Township and Plantenberg Family Trust in Royalton;
• Approving a precious metal dealer license for Midwest Jewelry of Coon Rapids;
• Approving a raffle request for Pine Ridge Golf Course in Motley for July 30;
• Approving awarding the bid for County Road 256 and County Road 262 overlay jobs to Central Specialties for $835,616.14;
• Approving finalizing public works projects from 2011, which were being held until it was determined that they wintered well; and
• Authorizing the appointment of Paul Tschida as an alternate for the District 4 Planning Commission.
A County Commissioners planning meeting will be held Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. in the board room of the County Government Center. The next regular meeting will be held Tuesday, July 24 at 9 a.m.