Two Royalton men charged with possession of drugs

Robert Allen Schwanke, 56, Royalton, was charged July 5, in the Morrison County District Court with one felony count of fifth degree possession of drugs.

Toby Robert Schwanke, 26, Royalton, was also charged  July 5, in Morrison County District Court with one felony count each of fifth degree possession of drugs and obstructing legal process.

On July 2, members of the Central Minnesota Violent Offenders Task Force, along with a confidential informant, conducted a controlled purchase of methamphetamine in Royalton.

Officers observed a known drug dealer being dropped off at a business in Royalton by Robert. He was followed back to his residence where contact was made with both him and with Toby, who also resides at the same residence.

According to the criminal complaint, Robert told officers he did not know who the person was that he dropped off, but later both men acknowledged the dealer had been at their residence.

The residence was secured for purposes of obtaining a search warrant.

Toby allegedly told officers that nobody was allowed into the house before getting the search warrant. He was directed by the officers to not go back into the home and was free to leave. Toby allegedly continued walking back to the house, refusing to leave. He was placed under arrest for obstruction.

Robert asked to get his cigarettes and his pants from the residence. An officer went with him and found suspected methamphetamine in Robert’s wallet.

When the search warrant was obtained, the residence was searched. In Robert’s bedroom officers allegedly found 1.1 grams of a white crystal-like substance believed to be methamphetamine. Also found was a meth pipe in Robert’s vehicle and numerous items of packaging material containing trace amounts of methamphetamine in a desk drawer.

According to the criminal complaint, officers found in Toby’s room an electronic gram scale containing plastic baggies with trace amounts of methamphetamine.

If convicted, Robert and Toby each face a maximum penalty of five years imprisonment and/or a $10,000 fine.