Dryer vent fire at Jail causes light damage; no one hurt
A dryer vent fire early Sunday morning, Oct. 7, caused light damage in the laundry room at the Morrison County Jail, but no one was injured.
Correctional officers reported smoke coming from the laundry room at the Morrison County Jail at about 8:30 a.m. They, along with Morrison County Deputies, Little Falls Police Officers and Minnesota State Patrol Officers assisted in getting inmates to a safe location in the jail, while Little Falls firefighters extinguished the fire.
The Morrison County Sheriff’s Office reported smoke was present throughout the jail, and that it took more than two hours to vent out the facility. No injuries occurred and all inmates remained secure throughout the incident, the Sheriff’s Department said.
The damage appears to be light, the Sheriff’s Department reported, but said final inspections would reveal whether any other damage to the building occurred.
“All officers on the scene, especially correctional officers and dispatchers, did an outstanding job of dealing with the fire, while simultaneously ensuring the safety and security of the inmates,” said Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel. “All the while, calls for service from the public continued to be received and responded to without interruption.”
He said, “I am very proud of how my officers dealt with this situation.”