The Stop in Lincoln burns Thanksgiving morning

The Stop, on Fishtrap Lake, burned early Thanksgiving morning due to a possible electrical malfunction. A passing train noticed the fire and called in the alarm. Not exactly sure of where the flames were coming from, the Motley Fire Department was dispatched to a location west of Highway 10 in Todd County. Another call concerning the fire gave the correct location and the Scandia Valley Fire Department was sent to The Stop. Both Departments and more than two dozens firefighters arrived within approximately 15 minutes of each other at around 1:30 a.m. The building was beyond saving by that time. The Stop had been closed for a little more than a year. When open, the business was a place local fishermen went for bait, for snacks, for a beer or for good conversation. Owners Roy Hollingsworth and Gwen Maxwell closed The Stop in 2011. Maxwell passed away Oct. 9.

up arrow