by Jennie Zeitler, Staff Writer
Upsala Supt. Gery Arndt presented a proposal for making up both snow days and state tournament days to the School Board March 27.
The district cancelled school four days during the present school year, two because of snow storms and two because of state tournament appearances.
School will be in session both May 28 and 29 for teachers and students to make up two of the four days missed.
“If the students’ class time for the school year is calculated by hour rather than by day, we are well within state requirements for class hours,” Arndt said.
With students in school those two days, the teacher inservice day will be pushed back to May 30, with May 31 being an optional teacher workshop day.
In order to meet teachers’ contractual obligations, they are required to make up all four days.
“They have a contract to work that many days (178),” Arndt said. “The number of contract days is an issue with the union. As a superintendent, I have to serve my days too.”
Teachers will be able to make up one of the days by putting in eight hours on their own before the end of the current school year by obtaining pre-approval from Dean of Students Vern Capelle.
The fourth day to be made up will become the first day of the 2013-2014 school calendar, as a faculty work day, Aug. 26.
Arndt received agreement with his proposal from Education Minnesota via e-mail.
The Board approved the memorandum of understanding with the Upsala Education Association regarding their makeup days. They also approved a resolution to amend the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 school calendars to reflect the changes.
Other business that came before the Upsala School Board March 27 included:
• Extending congratulations to the the boys and girls basketball teams and coaches. “We have been receiving many compliments about their sportsmanship,” said Supt. Gery Arndt. “I can’t say enough about the support we’ve received from the community;”
• Discussing the rental of space in the lower level to Mid-State Education District’s Success Room program;
• Approving the hiring of Kara Poissant as yearbook adviser for the 2013-2014 school year;
• Approving donations of $250 from anonymous and $100 from Nelson Insurance for the girls basketball state tournament; $300 from anonymous and $100 from Nelson Insurance for the boys basketball state tournament; $1,600 from anonymous for the reading program and $200 from the Upstage Arts Board for visual arts; and
• Authorizing Arndt to purchase a 2013 white 10-passenger van to replace the old van which must be removed from service according to the most recent bus inspection.
The next regularly scheduled Board meeting will be Wednesday, April 24, at 7:30 p.m. in the high school media center.