Deck fire near Royalton started through citronella candle

by Jennie Zeitler, Staff Writer

 

The Royalton Fire Department was called to a house fire at 13804 Glacier Lane at 7:45 p.m., Thursday, July 11.

“It was actually a deck fire that spread to the house,” said Fire Chief Duane Bursey. “But the fire didn’t penetrate the wall into the house or the attic.”

A call was put out for mutual aid for water, but was cancelled once it was known to be a deck fire.

The house was ventilated and the family returned by about 9 p.m.

“The family remembered that an oil-filled citronella candle had been on the deck on the Fourth of July,” Bursey said. “Maybe the sun beating on it heated it up and the glass broke. Maybe the wick was smoldering.”

The candle is apparently the cause of the fire, although the exact method has not been determined.

Offering advice on the safe use of candles, Bursey said, “Just make sure that wicks are out when you’re done. And don’t store candles in the sun.”

up arrow