Little Falls now has a city mission statement

By Terry Lehrke, News Editor

For months a committee made up of Little Falls City Council members has been working on a mission statement for the city.

In June, the first draft was sent back for some tweaking, but Monday, the Council approved the group’s work.

Council Member Loren Boyum presented the mission statement, which reads: “The mission of the city of Little Falls is to provide a safe, positive environment through the responsive, efficient and cost-effective delivery of city services, while celebrating and building upon our treasured history.”

Accompanying the statement were the core beliefs under which it was drafted:

• Excellence and quality in the delivery of municipal services;

• Fiscal responsibility with ethics and integrity;

• Respectful treatment of one another;

• Dedication and commitment toward making our city an ideal community; and

• Visionary leadership and planning for the future.

In addition to Boyum, Council Member Frank Gosiak and Council Member at Large Brian-Paul Crowder put the mission statement together.

Little Falls Council Briefs

In other business Monday, the Little Falls Council:

• Set Monday, Dec. 2, at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall, as the date and time for a public meeting, formerly called “truth in taxation” to discuss the proposed budget and levy for 2013;

• Approved annexing the Donald F. Marotte estate on 1605 Riverview Drive into the city;

• Approved a policy on exhibits that can be placed in a display case at the Carnegie Library in Little Falls;

• Approved reimbursing Morrison County for road improvements on First Street Southeast between Eighth Avenue Southeast and the southerly city limits near the hospital, in the amount of $42,556.16, which is 95 percent of the construction cost. The county will bill the city for the remaining 5 percent when the project is closed out;

• Approved a $394,941.01 bid from the Ferguson Company for upgrades to the city’s automated meter reading system. The city used a best value procurement process as opposed to the low bid. This allowed staff to consider future costs as well as the initial bid;

• Approved a $12,000 initial expenditure for CTC of Brainerd to install a fiber ring for high-speed data sharing between the Little Falls Police Department and the Morrison County’s Sheriff’s Office, as well as a $50 per month fee. Police Chief Schirmers said the current shared T-1 line has become too slow for the amount of data being shared and uploaded. He said the county will share in half the initial cost and will pay half of the monthly fee as well;

• Approved several changes to the city’s sign ordinance including the correction of typographical errors and clarification of meaning behind “holiday” signage. However, Paul Reuvers, the attorney representing the city in the lawsuit brought against it by Robin Hensel for violating her right to free speech when she was asked to take down signs in her yard, said he advised against any additional language regarding permitting garage sale signs, saying that constituted control of sign content; and

• Approved the low bid of $8,332.60 from Denny’s Floor Covering Studio in Little Falls for new carpeting in the Carnegie Library.

The next regular Little Falls City Council meeting will be held Monday, Sept. 16, at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall.

 

 

up arrow