By JENNIE ZEITLER, Staff Writer
The Upsala School Board received the strikingly positive news that the projected 2014 levy decrease is actually larger than was expected.
Supt. Gery Arndt told the Board Monday, that due to a state error in calculating the adjusted net tax capacity, the levy changed from an anticipated decrease of .927 percent to a decrease of 1.39 percent.
“We always like the good news,” Arndt said.
We know that as a district with a newer facility, we expect that our taxes would run higher, but we’re very happy every time we can enjoy a little reduction,” said Board Chair Dean Peterson.
Upsala School Board Briefs
Other business that came before the Upsala School Board included:
• Approving a resolution in support of a grant application to the Minnesota State High School League Foundation for an unspecified amount to help to offset student participation fees. “The amount depends on several different factors,” said Business Manager Colleen Harren;
• Approving the new coaching and activity handbook put together by Byron Westrich. “He did a very good job,” said Board Member Matt Ripplinger;
• Approving the list of fundraisers currently scheduled for the school year. “Other fundraisers are possible, but they will need to be approved by the Board too,” said Supt. Gery Arndt;
• Approving the following winter coaches: Vern Capelle for boys basketball, Joey Fuchs for assistant boys basketball, Mindy Klosowski for junior high boys basketball, Paul Pelzer for head girls basketball, Mark Herbes for assistant girls basketball and Amber Kalthoff for junior high girls basketball;
• Approving donations of $200 from Lange Oil and $85 from Target Corporation to be deposited in the Student Council account;
• Accepting the resignation of bus driver Mary Fries, effective Dec. 31. “We thank her for many years of service; we are proud to have her driving a bus,” said Board Chair Dean Peterson; and
• Learning that retired teacher Laurie Zimmerman has requested to be compensated for an accrued 423.13 hours of sick leave.
The next meeting of the Upsala School Board will be Wednesday, Nov. 27 at 7:30 p.m. in the high school media center.