by Jennie Zeitler, Staff Writer
The flexible benefits plan used by the Royalton School District recently amended language in the plan to reflect a different definition of what a spouse is. The Board approved the changes Tuesday.
The plan’s Article II, paragraph 2.43 used to read: “‘Spouse’ means, for purposes of this Plan and each underlying benefit available under this plan, an individual who is married, for federal income tax law purposes, to another individual of the opposite sex.”
Moving into accord with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) revenue ruling 2013-17, the plan’s wording changed to: “‘Spouse’ means, for purposes of this plan and each underlying benefit available under this plan, an individual who is legally married to a participant (and who is treated as a spouse as recognized to be legally married under the Code. This provision shall be administered consistent with applicable regulatory guidance, including IRS Revenue Ruling 2013-17.”
A roll-call vote was taken showing unanimous approval, effective Sept. 16.
Royalton School Board Briefs
Other business that came before the Royalton School Board Monday included:
• Learning that John Walburn of Smith Electric in Brainerd/Baxter, a Royalton parent, has been working on dampers in the middle/high school’s airflow system that have not been opening or closing properly. He also replaced belts in the univents. “Even though we’re looking at a facilities project, it will be two or three years down the road and we just can’t wait until then to take care of some of these things,” said Supt. Jon Ellerbusch;
• Hearing from Mayor Andrea Lauer that the city has postponed any sidewalk plan. “We want to know what’s going to happen with your facilities first, especially around the elementary school,” she said;
• Approving the hiring of a non-certified person to provide security and secretarial support at the elementary from 8 a.m. – 3:10 p.m.;
• Approving that a fee not be charged to patrons of co-curricular activities such as band and choir concerts and elementary school programs;
• Accepting the resignation of Alex Thielges as C-squad boys basketball coach effective October 31;
• Approving the hiring of Krista Kasella and Tessa Gutzkow as morning and afternoon program (MAP) assistants, Andrew Hagman as C-squad boys’ basketball coach, Dena Oscarson as Title I paraprofessional, Melonie Brown as the special education paraprofessional, Beth Kowalczek as the health assistant on a bus;
• Approving the termination of Barb Eaton as Title I paraprofessional for just cause effective November 11;
• Approving the roster of youth basketball coaches. Director Jeff Swenson, a volunteer basketball coach, abstained;
• Approving the roster of winter coaches: Ron Makela, head girls basketball (BB); Liz Reis, assistant girls BB; Shelby Lies, C-squad girls BB; Rusty Gwost and Aaron Meier, junior high girls BB; Kevin Presler, head wrestling; Rick Beam, assistant wrestling; James Carlson and Shane Fesenmaier, assistant wrestling; Randy Thielges, head boys BB, Adam Snyder, assistant boys BB; Andrew Hagman, C-squad boys BB and Rusty Gwost and Boyd Snyder, junior high boys BB; and
• Closing the meeting for discussion of negotiation strategies.
The next Royalton School Board meeting will be Monday, Dec. 16, at 6 p.m. at the high school.