Royalton firefighters able to prevent chimney fire

Jim and Janel Sczublewski called the Royalton Fire Department Christmas Eve, when their chimney began to smoke.

Royalton Fire Chief Duane Bursey said the homeowners did the right thing and by calling for help as soon as they noticed it, firefighters were able to get there before any damage was done.

Bursey said 16 firefighters responded and worked for just over an hour to unplug the chimney and ventilate the house to remove any smoke.

His advice for anyone is to call early for help. “And do preventative maintenance, such as cleaning the chimney,” said Bursey.

The incident report generated by the Morrison County Sheriff’s Office after the initial 911 call at just before 3 p.m. said, “Santa was advised to use other means of entry this evening.”

But, said Bursey, “We were able to open it up for Santa to use.”

 

up arrow