By Liz Verley, Staff Writer
Salaries for employees and Swanville council members were set at the Council’s Jan. 7 meeting.
For 2014, the mayor’s annual salary will be $1,800 plus $15 per hour for special meetings. Council members will receive $900 annually plus $15 an hour for special meetings.
The city clerk/treasurer’s salary was set at $900 per month with an additional $15 per hour for special meetings.
The person responsible for cleaning the community center will receive $125 per month and the park helper/community center person will be paid $9 per hour. The substitute maintenance person will receive $15 per hour.
During the organizational portion of the meeting it was decided:
• AJ Johnson will act as mayor in the absence of Mayor Sandy Peterson;
• The First State Bank of Swanville was designated as the depository for the city;
• The Morrison County Record was designated the city’s official newspaper;
• The regular meeting date for the Council was set as the first Tuesday after the first Monday of each month. Special meetings will be held only after proper notification and publication;
• The bond for the city clerk/treasurer was set at $12,000;
• The law firm of Peters & Churchwell will act as the city attorney; and
• The city’s representative on the Senior Center Board will be Peterson.
Various council and community members were assigned various other committee duties. These include: Julie Hollermann, community center; Duane Johnson and Peterson, city park, Jay Bartkowicz and Johnson, streets and sidewalks; Hollermann and Johnson, Springbrook Cemetery; Lonny Hutchins and Jim Molitor, city week inspector; Peterson and Johnson, Rural Fire Association; and, Peterson and Molitor, police service.
Swanville City Council Briefs
Other business that came before the Swanville City Council Jan. 6, included:
• Approving changes in the city maintenance job description and the employees policies and procedures manual;
• Approving the disbursement of $16,671.92 to Larson Excavating for the Rhoda Avenue Project. Work to be completed in the spring includes the aprons on driveways and a lift of paving on Third Street from Berkey to the water tower;
• Approving an additional two month compensation of $200 for use of his vehicle and two months of an additional $5 an hour ($20) for Gene Epling for work he did for the city;
• Giving approval to pay C.R. Peterson $15 per hour for snow plowing;
• Hearing Widseth Smith Nolting will provide maps of the 2009 and 2013 water/road projects;
• Hearing that Greater Minnesota Gas has set a resident meeting date for Feb. 4 at 6:15 p.m. to discuss the gas line that will be coming into the city. The meeting will be held at the Swanville Community Center;
• Tabling action on the furnace issues at the Swanville Center and the Community Center.
• Tabling action on the Jennie-O waste water charges pending further information; and
• Tabling the water meter fee for future replacement of meters.
The next regular meeting of the Swanville City Council will be held Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 7:30 p.m.