PROCEEDINGS OF THE SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
ISO #482 – LITTLE FALLS, MN
January 7, 2014
The School Board of Independent School District #482 held a Business Meeting on Tuesday, January 7,2014, 5:00 p.m., at the Morrison County Government Center.
Members present were: Cathy Adamek, Sharon Ballou, Jay Spillum, Brad Laager and Mark Gerbi. Others present were: Stephen Jones, Superintendent; Aaron Sinclair, Human Resource Director; and Nancy Henderson, Business Manager.
The Business Meeting was called to order by Chairperson Sharon Ballou, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion to pull Item 4.3, Board Member Committee and Other Assignments from the agenda and move it to the next meetings agenda by Cathy Adamek, seconded by Brad Laager. Motion carried 5-0.
Motion to approve the amended agenda by Cathy Adamek, seconded by Brad Laager. Motion carried 5-0.
Chairperson Sharon Ballou called for nominations for Board Chairperson for 2014.
A motion was made by Cathy Adamek, seconded by Brad Laager, to nominate Sharon Ballou as Chairperson.
No other nominations were made. Motion carried 5-0.
Chairperson Sharon Ballou called for nominations for Board Vice-Chairperson for 2014.
A motion was made by Cathy Adamek, seconded by Mark Gerbi, to nominate Brad Laager as ViceChairperson. No other nominations were made. Motion carried 5-0.
Chairperson Sharon Ballou called for nominations for Board Clerk/Treasurer for 2014.
A motion was made by Brad Laager, seconded by Mark Gerbi, to nominate Cathy Adamek as Clerk/Treasurer. No other nominations were made. Motion carried 5-0.
Motion by Jay Spillum, seconded by Cathy Adamek, that the Board of Education approve for calendar year 2014 the same remuneration provision amounts and limits for Board Members as were in effect during calendar year 2013. Such remuneration was limited to a $300 per month stipend for all Board Members; a onetime $300 annual stipend to the Board Chair; a $100 per-day stipend for any Board Member required to perform official business for the District for a full day of at least six (6) hours; a $50 stipend for any Board Member required to perform official business for the District for at least three (3) hours and less than six (6) hours; a $50,000 term life insurance policy for each Board Member; and the establishment of a development fund for mileage, other District-related travel costs, registrations, etc., with an annual cap of $2500 per Board Member. Motion carried 5-0.
Motion to approve the 2014 Board of Education meeting schedule by Jay Spillum, seconded by Cathy Adamek. Motion carried 5-0.
There were no public comments.
Motion to approve the consent agenda by Cathy Adamek, seconded by Jay Spillum, as follows:
Jessica Platz, 6 hr. PCA/Education Paraprofessional at Lindbergh Elementary, is resigning from her position
Jessica Platz, .5 Title I Teacher at Lindbergh Elementary
-The minutes of the December 16, 2013, Board of Education meeting were approved.
-The ISD #482 bills for October, 2013, and November, 2013, were approved.
- Move that the Board of Education designate the following institutions as official depositories for the District: Mid-Minnesota Federal Credit Union, Little Falls; Central Minnesota Federal Credit Union, Little Falls; Bank of the West, Little Falls; US Bank, Little Falls; Pine Country Bank, Little Falls; Randall State Bank, Randall; PMA Financial Network and PMA Securities, Inc.; LaSalle National Bank, Chicago, IL; Minnesota School District Liquid Assets Fund; Minnesota Trust Fund; and, any other financial institution approved by the investment advisor of the Liquid Assets Fund.
- Move that the Board of Education delegate the Districts Business Manager for calendar year 2014, the authority and responsibility to invest District funds which are not currently needed in accordance with Minnesota law. Further move that, consistent with the above delegation of responsibility for the investment of excess funds, the Business Manager be authorized to execute the following investment documents on behalf of the Board: certificate of election form, collateral assignment form, and collateral release form.
- Move that the Board of Education authorize the Districts Business Manager to use facsimile signatures of the Board Chairperson and Clerk/Treasurer on a limited basis where such use is necessary during calendar year 2014 in order to transact in an efficient and timely manner the legitimate business of the District; provided that, such authorization is designed to be narrowly construed and be limited only to running District payroll and paying legitimate bills of the District.
-Move that the Board of Education authorize the Superintendent to contact local attorneys or any other attorney licensed in Minnesota, as rnay from time to time be deemed appropriate, for District legal services on an as needed basis during calendar year 2014.
-Move that the Board of Education designate the Morrison County Record as the Districts official newspaper during calendar year 2014.
-Move that, consistent with Minnesota Statute, the Business Manager or designee be vested for calendar year 2014 with the authority and responsibility to make all properly documented payrnents in advance of Board approval. Further rnove that the Business Manager or designee be vested with the authority and responsibility to make electronic fund transfer payments covering investments and bond principal, interest and fiscal agent services, and payroll tax deposits, following these policy controls:
-The disbursing bank shall keep on file a certified copy of this authorization which allows electronic fund transfers;
-The initiator shall document the request and obtain approval from the Business Manager, or designee, before making the transfer;
-The initiator of the electronic transfer shall be identified for each transaction;
- A written confirmation of the transaction shall be made no later than one business day after the transaction and shall be used to support the transaction;
-A detailed listing of the payments shall be submitted to the Board of Education at its next regularly scheduled meeting for Board approval
- Move that the Board of Education authorize the Superintendent or Business Manager to lease, purchase, and contract for goods and services within the budget as approved by the Board, and as recommended by the Administration. Further move that any transaction in an amount exceeding the minimum amount for which bids are required must continue to be specifically authorized by the Board.
Motion carried 5-0.
Member Cathy Adamek introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
Acceptance of Gifts
WHEREAS the following have generously offered to donate to Little Falls Community Schools:
WalMart – $500.00 to Lindbergh Elementary School
Airborn – $625.00 (25 – $25.00 gift cards) for District families in need
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Little Falls Community Schools Board of Education to gratefully accept the gifts.
The motion for adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by Member Mark Gerbi and upon roll call vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Sharon Ballou, Cathy Adamek, Mark Gerbi,
Jay Spillum, and Brad Laager and the following voted against the same: None
The foregoing resolution was approved this 7th day of January, 2014. Motion carried 5-0.
Board Member Reports were presented.
- Rescheduled the Health Occupations Meeting for Sunday, January 12
- Were awarded the partnership with NJPA for the new agriculture teacher
- Channel 6 – Jerry Abraham is resigning January 9; hoping to collaborate with the new public access media in Little Falls; end goal is to start it up September 1
- Health Fair is January 20
- Holiday Party is January 18
- Mini Board Retreat is February 10
- Halfway point of the year is in two weeks.
Old or Unfinished Business
Motion by Brad Laager, seconded by Jay Spillum, that the Board of Education approve the final EMLF seniority and certification list, as presented by the Administration, and direct the Human Resource Office to post the final list in every school in the District. Motion carried 5-0.
Nancy Henderson, Business Manager, presented the 2014-15 enrollment projections.
Motion by Jay Spillum, seconded by Cathy Adamek, that the Board of Education approve the 2014-15 budget assumptions. Motion carried 5-0.
Member Cathy Adamek introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
SUPERINTENDENT TO IDENTIFY AND
ELIMINATION OR REDUCTION OF, AND/OR MODIFICATION
TO, DISTRICT SERVICES, STAFF, POSITIONS, PROGRAMS, OFFERINGS AND OTHER
AREAS FOR THE 2014-15 SCHOOL YEAR, AS NEEDED
WHEREAS, the financial condition of Independent School District 482 for the 2014-15 school year dictates that the Board of Education may need to reduce expenditures from the 2013-14 level, and
WHEREAS, any reduction in expenditures may include the discontinuance of positions; as well as, the discontinuance, elimination, or modification of programs, staff, services, offerings and other areas, and
WHEREAS, a determination would have to be made as to which employee contracts may be terminated and not renewed and which employees may be placed on unrequested leave of absence without payor fringe benefits to effect the discontinuance of positions,
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, by the Board of Education of Independent School District 482, as follows:
That the Board of Education hereby directs the Superintendent to make recommendations to the Board of Education for the 2014-15 school year for the discontinuance, elimination, modification and/or reorganization of programs, staff, positions, services, offerings, employee contracts, and other areas in Independent School District 482, as the Superintendent deems appropriate, for purposes of adopting the 2014-15 budget;
The motion for the adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by Member Brad laager and upon roll call vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Sharon Ballou, Cathy Adamek, Mark Gerbi, Jay Spillum, and Brad laager and the following voted against the same: None
whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted. Motion carried 5-0.
Motion to adjourn the meeting by Cathy Adamek, seconded by Mark Gerbi. Motion carried 5-0.
The Business Meeting was adjourned by Chairperson Sharon Ballou at 5:40 p.m.
Sharon Ballou, Chairperson
Cathy Adamek, Clerk/Treasurer
PUBLISH: February 4, 2014 (169736)