SWANVILLE SCHOOL BOARD MINUTES, DISTRICT #486, SWANVILLE, MN. (UNOFICIAL MINUTES)
The Swanville School Board held its regular meeting on January 14th, 2014 in the High School Library. Members present were Jay Loven, Kathy Beckman, Jeff Opelia, Chris Kircher, Todd Jackson, and Rick Gutormson. Also Present was Administrator Harthan
Board Chair Jay Loven called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
Motion made by Beckman and seconded by Gutormson to approve the agenda for this meeting. Motion carried.
Motion made by Opelia and seconded by Loven to approve the minutes of the December 20th and Dec 27th 2013 board meetings. Motion carried.
7-12 Principals Report:
1. The end of the quarter is Friday, January 17. This is also the end of the first semester. Report cards will be issued January 24.
2. The Olweus Bullying Kick-off will be Monday, January 20 at 8:30 a.m. Board members are encouraged to attend. There will be an article in the Record this weekend.
3. Juniors will be taking the ASVAB on Thursday January 16.
4. Congratulations to Emily Beseman and Jacob Johnson, December Students of the Month.
5. Grades 6-9 will be attending a Climb Theatre production on bullying at Upsala on February 12.
6. Students in grades 7-12 with passing grades and no detention will be bowling on January 31.
57 students from 7 districts are being served.
Budget expenditures are at 37% ytd
January 17th – Early Release – inservice.
January 21st – ASVAB testing for ALC students
Elementary Principals report:
1. Congratulations to all the students and Mrs. Wolters on another successful Christmas program December 17.
2. Elementary students collected items for the food shelf the last couple of weeks before Christmas. They filled 14 boxes with about 300 pounds of food items.
3. Friday, January 17, is an early dismissal day where staff will receive more training on the Olweus anti-bullying program. The elementary staff will also be reviewing the green slip/white slip policies in the next few weeks to help them more coincide with any bullying policies.
4. Winter benchmarking for reading was just completed. This is done 3 times a year where students are assessed on their progress using the AIMSweb system.
5. The elementary is doing a Random Act of Kindness Week January 13 17. Students will put their names on snowflakes to be displayed in the halls. We are looking at doing another week in February.
Election of Officers:
Motion made by Beckman to nominate Jay Loven for school board chairperson for 2014. No other nominations were made. Motion by Beckman and seconded by Kircher to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Jay Loven for school board chairperson for 2014. Motion carried.
Motion made by Loven to nominate Kathy Beckman for school board vice-chairperson for 2014. No other nominations were made. Motion by Loven and seconded by Gutormson to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Kathy Beckman for school board vice-chairperson for 2014. Motion carried.
Motion made by Jackson to nominate Chris Kircher for school board clerk for 2014. No other nominations were made. Motion by JAckson and seconded by Beckman to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Chris Kircher for school board clerk for 2014. Motion carried.
Motion made by Kircher to nominate Todd Jackson for school board treasurer for 2014. No other nominations were made. Motion by Kircher and seconded by Opelia to close nominations and cast a unanimous ballot for Todd Jackson for school board Treasurer for 2014. Motion carried.
Dates/ Times/ Compensation for Board Meetings/ Member:
Motion made by Loven and seconded by Gutormson to have the regular board meeting on the second Tuesday of each month with a starting time of 7:00 p.m. Any second monthly meeting shall be on the fourth Tuesday with a starting time of 7:00 p.m. Motion carried.
Motion made by Kircher and seconded by Opelia to set the compensations for the board meetings at $50.00 for all regular, special and second monthly meetings. A per diem of $150.00 for full days and $75.00 for partial days when board members are on official attendance at meetings and events. Annual additional compensation for the following: Chair person $150.00, Vice-Chairperson $50.00 plus $20.00 if presides $250.00 Clerk and $10.00 for Treasurer. These amounts are unchanged from the 2013 year. Motion carried.
Motion by Opelia and seconded by Gutormson to approve membership in the following: ESV region III, CMERDC and MSBA. Motion carried.
Motion made by Opelia and seconded by Beckman to designate the Morrison County Record as the official newspaper for the publishing of agendas, board minutes, and other legal notices for 2014. Motion carried.
Motion made by Loven and seconded by Jackson to designate Ratwik, Roszak, and Maloney as the official attorneys for 2014. Motion carried.
Motion made by Kircher and seconded by Gutormson to designate the First State Bank of Swanville and MN School District Liquid Asset Fund as the official depositories for 2014. Motion carried.
Motion made by Loven and seconded by Opelia to amend the following committee assignments and their compensation for 2014. Motion carried.
1) Mid-State Education District: Jeff Opelia $50.00 per meeting.
2) Minnesota State High School League: Todd Jackson & Kathy Beckman $20.00 per meeting.
3) Community Education: Kathy Beckman & Jay Loven $20.00 per meeting.
4) Meet & Confer: Jeff Opelia & Kathy Beckman $20.00 per meeting.
5) District Accountability: The full board $20.00 per meeting.
6) Staff Development: Todd Jackson & Chris Kircher $20.00 per meeting.
7) Textbook Coordinators: Full board $20.00 per meeting.
8) Facilities: Full board $20.00 per meeting.
9) Harassment/ Bullying: Kathy Beckman $20.00 per meeting
10) Finance: Chris Kircher & Kathy Beckman $20.00 per meeting.
11) Legislative Liaison: Chris Kircher $20.00 per meeting.
12) Baseball/ Softball: Jay Loven & Kathy Beckman $20.00 per meeting
13) Teacher Principal Evaluation: Chris Kircher $20.00 per meeting
14) Paired Sports: Chris Kircher &Rick Gutormson $20.00 per meeting
Board Member Kathy Beckman introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION DIRECTING THE ADMINISTRATION TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR
REDUCTIONS IN PROGRAMS
AND POSITIONS AND
The motion for the adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by Rick Gutormson and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor of thereof: Jay Loven, Chris Kircher, Kathy Beckman, Todd Jackson, Jeff Opelia and Rick Gutormson. Resolution was passed unanimously and adopted.
Administrator Harthan went over possible changes in Mid-State Programs.
Congratulations to Football Coach Jay Loven who was chosen to coach in the All Star Football Game.
Motion made by Beckman and seconded by Gutormson to accept the resignation of Steve Miller as Boys Basketball Coach. Motion carried
Administrator Harthan went over the SOD plan narrative, 2013-2014 Budget Revisions, 2013-2014 revenue projections, and 2014-2015 budget with the board.
Motion made by Loven and seconded by Kircher to approve the budget for the 2013/2014 school year. Motion carried.
There will be a Finance meeting on January 22nd at 7:30 p.m. in Swanville.
The Board set a second full Board meeting for January 28th at at 7:00 p.m.
Administrator Harthan informed the board of requests possibly going to the Swanville Lions Club.
There will be a paired sports meeting on January 27th at 7:00 p.m. in Swanville.
Motion made by Jackson and seconded by Gutormson to pay the bills in the amount of $44,389.21 Motion carried. Check numbers 72353 – 72452
Motion made by Kircher and seconded by Opelia to approve electronic transfers of $21,268.30 on December 20th, 2013 and $20,716.35 on January 5th, 2014. Motion carried.
Meeting was closed at 7:58 to discuss a personnel issue and reopened at 8:07.
Motion made by Loven and seconded by Beckman to adjourn the meeting at 8:08 p.m. Motion carried.
PUBLISH: February 16, 2014 (175306)