50th annual art show set for May 16-17
Preregistrations are now being accepted for the 50th Annual Staples Rotary Arts Show May 16-17 in the lobby of Centennial Auditorium in Staples.
For pre-registration or to have a brochure mailed, call Marci Lord at (218) 894-5400, ext. 3011 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Exhibits will be accepted from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m. Thursday, May 15.
Artists may exhibit their work or enter it for juried competition. Exhibited art may also be for sale.
There is no limit to the number of items artists may exhibit in the non-juried portion of the art show and there is no fee for non-juried items.
Juried exhibits are limited to six items in each class. Recognition ribbons will be awarded and no entry fee will be charged.
The 2014 Photography Theme Category is “Grandchildren, Nieces and Nephews.”
The other categories are:
• Art, including all types of original paintings or drawings.
• General Crafts, featuring pottery, decoupage, ceramics, sculptures, jewelry, collages, metalwork.
• Fibrous Craft, including all needlework, quilting, sewing.
• Wood Craft, featuring carvings, wood sculpture, objects made substantially of wood products.
• Photography – story telling: photo or group of photos that depict a story.
• Photography – nature, animals, landscape, featuring scenes of water, land, vegetation, trees, wild or domestic animals, and/or buildings.
• Photography – human interest featuring, adults, children, people of other cultures.
• Photography – abstract, fine art.
Photography may be enhanced if done by the exhibitor. Photos need not be framed, must be a minimum of 8 in. by 10 in. and a maximum of approximately 16-inches by 20-inches.
A regional student art show will also be held in conjunction with the adult show. Schools in the Freshwater Education District are invited to participate. Those schools include Staples Motley, Bertha Hewitt, Browerville, Eagle Valley, Henning, Long Prairie-Grey Eagle, Pillager and Verndale.
The show will be open to the public from noon to 9 p.m., Friday, May 16, and 9 noon-7 p.m., Saturday, May 17. Area artists will demonstrate their art Saturday afternoon.
Artists may pick up their exhibits from 7-8 p.m. Saturday.
School groups may tour the show Friday, May 16.
Other events at Centennial Auditorium during the weekend include the Staples Motley High School Commencement Concert at 7 p.m., Friday, and a dance recital at 7 p.m., Saturday, by A Time to Dance students.