MID-STATE EDUCATION DISTRICT MINUTES OF REGULAR GOVERNING BOARD MID-STATE
EDUCATION DISTRICT LITTLE FALLS, MN 56345
A Regular Meeting of the Governing Board of Mid-State Education District was held Wednesday, May 14, 2014, beginning at 4:00 PM at MSED Clover Glen Lane, Little Falls, MN.
Board members present: Bill Krivanek, Lois Metcalf, Patty Stangl, Ray Gove, Liz Verley, and Jeff Opelia. Superintendents present: Gene Harthan, Jon Ellerbusch and George Weber. Others present were: MSED Director Suzanne Busacker, Accountant DeAnn Peterson, and Accountant Support Lori Thieschafer. Other guests present were Ryan Rehnstrand and Curtis Jendro.
1. The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m. by Board Chair Patty Stangl followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. On motion by Jeff Opelia, seconded by Bill Krivanek, the minutes for March 12, 2014 and April 9, 2014 were approved. Motion carried.
3. On motion by Lois Metcalf, seconded by Liz Verley, the agenda was approved with the following modifications of item 8D-4 being tabled. Motion carried.
4. On motion by Jeff Opelia, seconded by Bill Krivanek the Mid-State Bills were approved for March in the amount of $135,107.38 (check numbers 44,739-44,812 and wires (20) in the amount of $71,684.44, and reimbursements (24) in the amount of $6,708.06 and the bills for April in the amount of $92,198.21 (check numbers 44,813-44,866 and wires (20) in the amount of $69,339.65, and reimbursements (28) in the amount of $6,356.97 were approved. Motion carried.
5. Staff/ Guests Speakers
There were no staff or guest speakers present.
6. On motion by Bill Krivanek, seconded by Lois Metcalf, the Governing Board Action Items A & C were approved. Motion carried
A. Second Read and Approval of 2014-15 SY Calendars
B. First Read of 2014-15 SY MSED North Calendar
C. Approve the revision of Policy 412
7. On motion by Lois Metcalf, seconded by Bill Krivanek, the following Technology items A, B, C & D were approved. Motion carried.
A. Accept Letter of Resignation.
1. Corey Thoma – Distance Learning Coordinator
B. Approve the hire for a Temporary Technology Support Position
This position is for up to 65 hours for the school year 2013-14.
C. Approve Posting of a Full- Time Technology Coordinator Position
This position will be for the 2014-15 school year.
D. Approve Internal Posting for a Part-Time Distance Learning Coordinator.
This position is for the 2014-15 school year.
8. On motion by Jeff Opelia, seconded by Liz Verley, the following Personnel Items A, B 1-2, C, D 1-3, E1, F were approved, item D-4 was tabled. Motion carried.
A. Approve the ESY Contracts for the following staff as described in the February ESY Position Postings:
Pierz – ECSE Teacher: Nancy Hansen
Success – Paraprofessional: Scott Garman
Royalton – SLP – Alyssa Theis
Swanville/Upsala – SLP – Rhonda Ripplinger
B. Approve the Postings for the following Positions for the School Year 2014-15
1. Speech Clinician
This would be a full-time position that is contracted out to the Royalton School District.
This position will be a .4 FTE.
C. Approve the 2013-15 EMLF Teacher Master Agreement.
Contract agreement and salary settlement was completed April 26, 2014. The total package settlement is 7.588%.
D. Hiring Recommendations for MSED Positions
1. Approve the hiring for the Speech Language Pathologist
The interviewing team is recommending Emily Kunstleben at step 2 lane MS for school year 2014-15 for the MSED Speech Language Pathologist Position.
2. Approve the hiring for a Speech/Language Clinician
The interviewing team is recommending Alyssa Theis at step 3 lane BS for school year 2014-15 for the MSED Speech/Language Clinician. This position will be contracted out to Royalton School District.
3. Approve the hiring for the MCLC EBD Teacher
The interviewing team is recommending Elaine Seekon at step 1 lane 1 for school year 2014-15 for the MCLC EBD Teacher Position contingent upon her Minnesota license and background check.
4. Approve the hiring for the MSED Occupational Therapist
E. Accept Letters of Resignations
1. Ellen Nieken – Technology Support Specialist
F. Approve the Reduction of Two ESY Paraprofessionals
Both these positions will be at MCLC
9. On motion by Lois Metcalf, seconded by Jeff Opelia, to approve the contract for Audiology Services for SY 2014-15 was approved. This position will be for 18 days throughout the school year. Motion carried.
10. On motion by Liz Verley, seconded by Lois Metcalf, to approval the recommendation for Lawn Care Service by Schneiders Lawn and Landscape. Motion carried.
11. On motion by Jeff Opelia, seconded by Bill Krivanek, to accept the donation from Wal-Mart was approved. This donation will be used for PBIS awards supplies at MCLC. Motion carried.
12. First Read of FY 2015 (2014-15) MSED Budget
13. Discussion (Non-action) Items
14. Update on Negotiations.
15. Informational Items
16. Cash Flow Report for period ending March 31, 2014
17. On motion by Lois Metcalf, seconded by Bill Krivanek, to adjourn meeting at 4:25 PM.
18. Next Governing Board Meeting: Wednesday, June 11, 2014. Next Executive Board Meeting: Tuesday, June 10, 2014, Mid-State Education District Clover Glen Lane, Little Falls, MN.
Mid-State Governing Board
PUBLISH: June 22, 2014 (238441)